Mary Matha College symbolizes the realization of the dreams and aspirations of the people of the tribal, minority concentrated and backward hill-district of Wayanad. The College is established in 1995 and is managed by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Mananthavady with the objective of meeting the higher educational needs of the youth of Wayanad.
His Excellency Rt Rev. Dr Jacob Thoomkuzhy, the then Bishop of Mananthavady, was kind enough to take upon himself the onerous task of establishing and managing the Institution.
His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr. Emmanuel Pothanamuzhy was consecrated as the Bishop of the Diocese, in 1997. As the founder Principal of the Christ College, Bangalore, he had long years of experience as a Teacher and Administrator. His vision and commitment to academic excellence were guiding beacons in our Institution's efforts to achieve its Social and Educational Goals. His Excellency passed away in 2003 and subsequently His Excellency Rt. Rev. Dr Jose Porunnedom became the Patron. The College is heading for accelerated growth and expansion under his benevolent leadership.
Succession List of Principals
- Dr K T Varkey (1995-2002): The Founder Principal.
- Rev. Fr Dr James Maruthukunnel (CMI) (2002-06): Former Principal, St. Joseph's College, Devagiri, Kozhikode,
- Dr Raju George (2006-14): Former Faculty, Department of English, Marian College, Kuttikkanam.
- Dr Saban Kurumthottam V (2014-15)
- Dr Savio James (2015 onwards)
Succession List of Managers
- Rev. Msgr Joseph Kaniamattam (1995-1997): The Founder Manager of the College.
- Rev. Msgr George Njaralakatt (1997-2006): Former Vicar General of the Diocese of Mananthavady, and the present Bishop of the Diocese of Mandya.
- Rev. Fr Jose Kocharackal (2006-2008): Syncellus, Education Department of the Diocese of Mananthavady.
- Rev. Fr Robin Vadakkancheril (2008-2011)
- Rev. Msgr Dr. Mathew Madappallikkunnel (2011-2012): The Vicar General of the Diocese of Mananthavady.
- Rev. Fr Chandy Punakkatt (from 2012 onwards)
The College is included under Section 2 (F) & 12 (B) of the UGC Act, was awarded Grade B++ (83.5%) by the NAAC in 2006, and re-accredited with A grade in 2014.
With seven Undergraduate Programmes, two Postgraduate Programme, two Research Centres, and an upcoming Study Centre of the IGNOU, the College has maintained its reputation for diversification. In addition to that the College runs three Certificate Courses, and has been contemplating to run two more. Almost all the Associate Professors on our Faculty are Ph D holders with five of them having approval for Research Guidance in various Universities. The Faculty Members have been operating 21 Minor Research Projects and two Major Research Projects during the XI Plan. In addition to that, the UGC sanctioned various Projects amounting to around two Crores.
Mary Matha Arts & Science College, Mananthavady is situated on a beautiful hilltop on the Mananthavady-Mysore Highway amidst the sprawling greenery of the Western Ghats, one of the crucial bio-diversity hot spots. The major reason for selecting this place as the site for the College was to provide a pristine pollution-free environment to the students, conducive to academic activities.