Music ClubMusic Club
The club was started in 2011.The club has conducted many programmes in the college and it has plans to produce several audio and video CDs. One of its ambitious plans is to record and archive the native music tradition of Wayanad.
- Music Fellowship : It is the weekly meeting of the music club members. The members meet on every Fridays to discuss and listen to music. It is a time for them to interact with musicians and to learn music.
- Programmes in and out of the college: The club has also conducted several programmes in and out of the college in association with other organizations and clubs. One such recent was Pandit Brij Narayan’s sarod concert in association with SPICMACAY in 2012.
- The Music Library: It is one of the largest music libraries in Wayanad District and has music from various parts of the world. The tracks were collected meticulously over a long period of time from connoisseurs and aficionados. The music archive has been carefully systematized for easy retrieval and use by students and teachers. According to the latest figures, we have more than 28000 music files. Following are some of the categories that make this collection rich:
- Karnatic music
- Vocal: maestros like Ariyakudi, Chembai, Semmangudi as well as younger artists like P Unnikrishnan, Sudha Ragunathan et al.
- Instrumental: Mysore T Chowdiah, TR Mahalingam, Kadri Gopalnath, U Srinivas et al.
- Hindustani music
- Vocal: Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Mallikarjun Mansur, Kesrbai Kerkar et al.
- Instrumental: Shivkumar Sharma, Ustad Zakir Hussain, Ustad Bismillah Khan, Hariprasad Chaurasia et al.
- Karnatic music lessons on about 250 ragas with notations, lyrics and descriptions
- World music (from Africa, Brazil, Caribbean islands, Cuba, Greece, Israel,Italy, Mexico, France, Puerto Rico, Turkey, China etc.)
- Western popular music (pop, rock, rap, reggae, metal, jazz, folk, etc. The collection contains more than 7000 files by 211 artists.)
- Devotional music (Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Sufi etc.)
- Western instrumental/classical music (The collection features artistes like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Orff et al in piano, cello, concerts etc.)
- The music club also maintains a Facebook community through which the members share and discuss music.